Click Here to Return to

The Finer Points of Flying
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:42 am 

Hi all,

I was told by my CFI, last week, that I am close to taking the writen, and then he asked me if I had purchased any DVD's to help me study. Aside from the books I have and Jason's High Air Work CD I have not. Can anyone advise me on the best DVD set to get? Sporty's? King's? Also if there is any one out there that is looking to sell there DVD's let me know, I might want to take them off your hands.

Thanks in advance.

-Student Pilot Will 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:56 pm 

Student Pilot Will,

I would definitely consider purchasing either Gleim or ASA written prep book. The questions that are on the test are randomly chosen from a data bank which is open to the public and published by those two companies. Also, Sporty's offers online practice tests-those will give you an accurate indication of how the studying is going. This is for the written. When you are preparing for the practical, well, that is a different situation. I think you would find Jason's CD helpful, as well as the others that are available. I don't have a favorite but perhaps someone out there can offer more information. Oral Prep Guide, PTS..and whichever text you are given will give you a pretty solid guide to what needs to be accomplished.
Hope that helps,
good luck,
anais

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:50 am 

Hello there,

I'm in about the same position as Will...have gone through all my textbooks and study guides and getting ready for the written exam. My school uses the Jeppesen training materials (text book, exam study guide, etc.) and I've found them to be quite thorough, especially the study guide which has every possible question on the exam and answers with explanations.

I've also used the Sporty's online test prep quite a bit, and it is the best. You can get full diagrams right on screen so you can answer all the questions, it has real timers, etc.

Now if I could remember all those trick questions the FAA keeps throwing at me!

Jeff

Post subject: written prep
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:12 am 

Thanks moski,
it's always good to hear from someone who is in the same position.
Good luck,
anais

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:35 pm 

Thanks to both of you. I will look into the Jeppesen books. Does anyone know about the Sporty's DVD's?

Well I better get back to the books. Good luck moski.

-Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:55 am 

Hello all,

One thing that I really like about the Sporty's videos are the sections with Richard Collins. Embedded in the videos are 'air facts' with Richard Collins. Mr. Collins has a wealth of GA knowledge that truly adds to the Sporty's series.

Jason

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:40 pm 

I've been using the Gleim test prep software. It covers the same material as their prep book, but allows you to track your performance in several ways, including average time per question, % correct on last attempt, last three attemps, what topic areas you've covered, etc. It also can simulate the test environment of some of the major test centers (like CATS) so that you'll already be familiar with the presentation style before you take the real thing.

My instructor says he used this software for all of his tests, and it worked very well for him. It is definitely a confidence builder, because you have a pretty good sense of how well you'll do.

You can buy the package on CD-ROM at a pilot shop, or download directly from Gleim online.

The Sporty's DVD's are also very helpful as you progress with your flying, but once you're really ready to bear down on the written test, they take a little too much time to review.

Post subject: I passed the test
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:22 am 

Hi all,
I thought I would let you all know I passed the written test last week. I had grounded my self to give my self time to study. The life and work got in the way but after two months I finally took the test and passed. I used the Gliem Test prep book and Sporty's on line studies and practice test to prepare.

So after passing I am back in the air and well on my way to that golden ticket. Thanks for all your help.

-Student Pilot Will

pilotwill@sbcglobal.net
http://web.mac.com/pilotwill/Site/Home.html
http://pilotwill.libsyn.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:58 am 

Congratulations! That always feels good to one of the hurdles out of the way. Wasn't too bad hey? ( a little canadian in there for you :) )

Keep us posted!
a

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:33 am 

Thanks Anais,

No it wasn't that bad at all. I was afraid if I did failed I might feel like a "hoser, eh!" Hee hee hee. :lol:

I will keep the you guys up to date. I have at least one more solo cross country, my night cross country, and the prep flying to fulfill my minimums for the check ride. I know I will do more flying than that but I am getting really close.

Thanks for all the help and support.

-Student Pilot Will

pilotwill@sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:43 pm 

So I thought I would update you all. I am back from Europe and had the most amazing time in Italy. If you have never been you just must, the pasta and coffee is worth the price of the flight over there.

As for flying I have really stepped it up. And the big news from today is that my check ride has been scheduled. Yup I am taking the check ride on Dec 28th. I am flying 2 and 3 times a week tell then and many hours with the CFI doing ground work. When I am not at the airport or at work my nose is in the books.

So any last words of wisdom to part on this student pilot?

Thanks in advance.
:)

pilotwill@sbcglobal.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:26 am 

Well today is the day. I just woke up, and had a very good sleep. I think I am ready. It will be a beautiful day here in Ca with a bit of wind. I might get to show off my cross wind skills. My CFI signed me off yesterday, and I have everything I need. I am ready... Ya I am ready.... I will post later tonight to let you all know how it went. Thanks for all the great advice.

-Student Pilot Will
(soon to be Pilot Will)

pilotwill@sbcglobal.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:44 am 

Can't wait to hear!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:29 pm 

Be sure to post a reply in the "Tales from the Checkride" posting. Hope everything goes well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:52 pm 

Well...

I failed the oral......

It was just a bad day all around. I started off by making one mistake on the cross country flight plan. I used MPH rather then knots. He told me to try again. So then I did the math to convert MPH to Knots and did it backwards, adding 15%. Oops then he told me to do it again and this time I got it right. By then I was flustered out of my mind. Then the questions started coming and I could tell he was not pleased with me. That got me second guessing every answer I gave him, so I wasn't sounding very confident. Not to mention I was not giving him the answers he wanted to hear. He asked my questions about airspace that I just got wrong. I knew them but my brain was just swimming I guess. Well bottom line is I failed.

Ok time to pick my self up by the boot straps, dust my self off and find my weaknesses and make them strong points. I now also have to transition to a different plane as the one I was going to do the check ride in is leaving the school. So maybe another month or so and I will give it another go.

-Still Student Pilot Will

pilotwill@sbcglobal.net