Click Here to Return to

The Finer Points of Flying
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:23 am 

Ok, this question has been the source of some debate between me and a friend.

Why on some runways is there a Touchdown Zone Marker before the Aiming Point Marker (as well as after), while on other runways they only exist after the Aiming Point Marker?

My friends opinion is that is has something to do with Precision vs Non-Precision runway markings, but I disagree. According to the AIM 2-3-3, Touchdown Zone Markings are not even part of Non-Precision runway markings, so why would having a TDZ Marker before the Aiming point be related to a precision or non-precision approach?

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/ ... m0203.html

Can anyone settle this debate for me?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:06 am 

Hmm. Wonder why this one got past me.

I would like to see some examples of what you are talking about. Can you give me some airport locations of each type so I can look on Google Earth?

The Touchdown Zone is the first 3,000 feet of the runway, typically. That is indicated on Precision Approach runways by the Touchdown Zone markings. There are several sets of markings that indicate the touchdown zone, starting with the threshold and ending 3,000 feet down the runway. The aiming point marker is 1000 feet down the runway and is indicated by the two large rectangles, one on each side of the runway centerline. Examples are shown in the AIM.

On non precision runways, there is just the threshold markings and the aiming point markings 1,000 feet down the runway, with nothing in between the two except for the centerline markings.

Frankly, I have never seen the aiming point marker anywhere other than at 1,000 feet down the runway. That would be the only reason the aiming point markers would be before the touchdown zone markings, that is if it was closer to the threshold than 1,000 feet.

As I said, I would like to see examples.