Click Here to Return to

The Finer Points of Flying
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:16 pm 

I think this one is for Tony, but I am happy for any and all input.

My 14 year old son is working on soloing a Schweizer 2-33A. His pre-solo written test (open book - can use any and all resources, including the internet) has an interesting question: What is the max demonstrated crosswind component for a 2-33?

Briefly, this is not in the POH, and I can't seem to find it anywhere via google. AOPA had an article that stated that for aircraft certificated before 1975 (i.e. this glider?) you should use 0.2 times VSO. Stall speed is something like 33 MPH, so that works out to about 6 MPH crosswind. That seems low - I have landed a 2-33 myself in more than that.

Another glider pilot suggested 15 KTS, but didn't really have a reference for it.

Finally, in thinking about this, I began to wonder about the crosswind's impact in an aero tow situation. Do you simply look at the crosswind capabilities of the tow plane, and the glider, and use whichever is lower, or is there any situation where the tow plane's ability to handle crosswind is impacted (favorably or unfavorably) due to having a thousand pounds hanging on it's tail?

Thanks for any thoughts on this!

Best regards!

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:00 am 

wow, i haven't been around here for a while but this is the first thing i found today.

you're right, nothing is written in the POH. the 2-33 was type certified in the early/mid 60's so it wasn't required. I'd just ask your son's instructor what he's looking for. Perhaps the test is a hold over from a newer glider that has a published number.

2-33 has a pretty powerful rudder and could probably handle some massive crosswinds if you wanted.

the towplanes ability to handle crosswind could be either positively or negatively affected by the glider. Depends on how carefully the glider pilot can fly right after takeoff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:09 pm 

Hey Tony,

Thanks for the reply. Your thoughts were similar to mine. Turns out that it was a bit of a "trick question". She wanted him to do a little searching, and realize that sometimes things like this are more a matter of your own personal skill and judgement - you can't always look up the answer on the internet. Point taken.

On a related note, we did join the local glider club (we live in Wisconsin, my son soloed at Chilhowee, TN). Looking forward to flying the club planes and getting to know the folks in the club.

Sorry we didn't meet at OSH10. Looked for you, but to no avail. Have a great year - maybe meet you there next year.

Take care,

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:43 pm 

which glider club did you join in Wisconsin? Pete VonTresckow is a good friend and former glider student of mine and flies with the club in Hartford.

You didn't see my at Oshkosh cause I wasn't there :)

Hope you enjoyed Chilhowee. I'd love to go down there some time. Always enjoy visiting with Sarah at the SSA conventions.