Click Here to Return to

The Finer Points of Flying
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Question on time?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:15 pm 

This is for any of the CFI's here.

First a little background, I am currently not flying :cry: . I took lessons many years ago (It's hard to believe that it's been as long as it is) about 16 years to be more precise. My training was given through my high school. We had an aeronautics program, our class at school was the ground school portion, ending with the written exam as your final exam in your senior year.

It was a long process, but with only one CFI, it was necessary. 1 CFI teaching 5 classes a day with 15-20 students per class.

All in all, through my high school years, I received a total of 41.9 hrs, with .7 PIC, one solo (two T&G's and a full stop).

Well, to make a long story short, I never finished my training. Life got in the way, and now, 16 years later, I am dying to get flying again.

Here is my question.

Money is obviously a concern for many students. Hypothetically speaking, if I was to start training again, and I was able to demonstrate to my instructor that I was competent, (remember I said hypothetical) could I apply my previous logged time towards my training and PPL?

I have no delusions of grander, and fully expect that I will need to start from square one, especially the academics, but if after further training, and several more hours of dual, would I be able to count any of that time towards my minimums required?

Any suggestions, comments, ideas, or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks in Advance,

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:55 am 

Well the good news is that your previous time didn't go away. Once you have them, the hours are yours forever.

You might be surprised at how much you have retained from your previous training. Yeah, it will take some time to get back up to speed, but I doubt that you will have to start from scratch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:08 pm 

Greg,
Thanks for the reply. I figured that my time would still "be mine", but I wasn't sure if there was a time limit on the "time" being applied to training towards a certificate.

It will be interesting to see what I have retained once I get back into training.

I sure do miss it! I spent an hour at my local airport yesterday after work watching all the local pilots flying in and out.

Thanks again for the reply, and I'll update once I start flying again.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:57 pm 

danscott wrote:
Greg,
Thanks for the reply. I figured that my time would still "be mine", but I wasn't sure if there was a time limit on the "time" being applied to training towards a certificate.

Dan

It will always be able to be applied to any and all certificates unless there is a "within the last 90 days" or some such stipulation on it. In your case, I think that isn't an issue.

Go forth and aviate. Let us know how it goes.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:49 am 

Hi Dan,

Greg is absolutely right, those hours will always be yours. There is a term that is used in education called "primacy". This refers to when a subject or skill is presented to a student for the first time and/or at a young age. Our ability to retain is uncanny, and often even if we are taught over and over another way, we still will go to the way we were first taught. (This can be a challenge for CFI's in some situations!) It is something that they think is stored in long term memory.
Anyways, good news for you is that, I think you will be surprised what does come back, particularly because you were young. This is exciting!
We'll look forward to hearing more. :D

a

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:55 pm 

Greg and Anais,
Thank you both for the replies. I agree this is Very Exciting! I have never stopped thinking about finishing my training and getting my PPL. I remember my solo like it happened yesterday. The excitement, and fear when my instructor got out of the plane (733JL a C-172) and told me to take her up for T&G's. I flew out of Gillespie Field (KSEE) in El Cajon CA, I don't think my heart has beat as fast since. Especially when the tower called me on my first circuit. "3JL extend your downwind, I'll call your base". It was not what I wanted to do on my first solo, but I guess I handled it O.K. since I'm here to talk about it.

My wife is not thrilled about it, but she's resigned to the fact that it's going to happen. She had a bad experience on a Commercial flight, and it scared the heck out of her. So she is dead set against ever flying unless it's absolutely necessary. So I guess I'll have to share my excitement with the board members here, and anywhere else that I can.

I will certainly keep everyone updated. It's probably going to be a few months before I start, but I'm sure that I will have more questions for everyone.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.