Click Here to Return to

The Finer Points of Flying
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: ifr pickup
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:45 pm 

now I'm confused.

when flying IFR you can cancel your clearance once vfr and not in class A (vfr on-top) According to this video though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxsl_m0W88k you can pickup some type of radar following into imc?? in training i have only had flight following in vfr conditions and received vectors to a landing under the hood.

my question is can i get vectors and land in imc if i am instrument rated and without filing an ifr flight plan?

i can see how this would save allot of time especially in the air and unintentionally caught in imc conditions or not being able to land without penetrating imc conditions while flying vfr. i may also be misled by the video here so be kind. :)

cheerio

thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:32 am 

didnt watch the video, but it is often possible to get a 'pop up' IFR clearance from ATC, without filing a flight plan. mostly it depends on the controllers workload. also, i often get local IFR clearances from our local ATC without filing a flight plan. I think this is similar to a Tower Enroute Clearance that you may have learned about in your intrument training, where your clearance is handled entirely by local ATC and does not run through the national ATC system.