Click Here to Return to

The Finer Points of Flying
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Job/Resume Tips
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:49 pm 

I recently passed my CFI checkride and am now on the hunt for that first job to start my career as a flight instructor. I was curious if anybody has tips on how to best put together a cover letter and resume. What kind of things do employers want to see on a resume? Especially considering I still have no dual given as the flight school I trained at has very few students and they are unable to help me out right now.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:47 am 

It's definitely a tough time for CFI's with the economy and winter setting in. With that said, make sure you have your II so you can teach regardless of weather (within limits of course :D )
There is a standardized resume that professional pilots use. Simple, one sheet, have a spectacular reference letter.

The biggest thing however, is, I have noticed that flight clubs LOVE when you bring your own students. Start marketing yourself independently, you will be much more attractive to a flight club owner.

Hope that helps. Be persistent and have confidence.
a :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:34 pm 

Provopilot,
I was fortunate to have the school where I trained take me on and during the last period of hiring there has been so far.

I bought the book, "The Savvy Flight Instructor" by Gregory N. Brown from ASA and it is packed full of every little thing that has ever worked to increase your chances of getting that job as quickly as possible.

Here are a few opinions of the book:

"If you want to know how to be a successful CFI, read this book. I am going to make it required reading for every instructor we hire..."
Warren Smith -Flight Training Mgr, Flightstar Corp.

"Outstanding! I firmly believe that if you apply only a few of these techniques, you could easily double or triple business. This should be mandatory reading for all flight school managers...for an independent CFI, it's worth its weight in gold!" Steve Lofgren (NATA)

"...a great primer for...CFIs as to how the game is played and how to win...how to attract students, how to teach 'em, and how to keep 'em. If CFIs follow this advice, they will be successful... Every CFI ought to read this!" Flight Training Magazine

hope that helps.

Justin