Click Here to Return to

The Finer Points of Flying
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:51 am 

Dear tfp,
I have just bought my first ever log book (very excited). It's the ASA "The Standard Pilot Log" ASA-SP-57.
However, I fly in France and the French log books are for some strange reason ordered somewhat different inside.
Would highly appreciate if anyone could show me a website where I could see how I fill it in correctly.
Otherwise, the colums that I am unsure about are (IN CAPITAL LETTERS:

- Year / date - OK for this one
- Aircraft make and model - OK for this one
- Aircraft ID - OK for this one
- Points of dep and arr - OK for this one
- REMARKS (PROCEDURES, MANEUVERS, ENDORSEMENTS)
- NO INSTR. APPR.
- NO LDG.
- AIRCRAFT CATEGORY AND CLASSIFICATION (4 SUB SECTIONS)
- AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND
- AIRPLANCE MULTI-ENGIVE LAND
- EMPTY
- ROTORCRAFT HELICOPTER
- AS FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR - guess this is time you flew as flight instructor
- CROSS COUNTRY - guess this is time you flew cross country
- CONDITION OF FLIGHT (4 SUB SECTIONS) - guess this is the time I flew either at day or night but could both be for instance day AND actual instrument? Is this right?
- DAY
- NIGHT
- ACTUAL INSTRUMENT
- SIMULATED INSTRUMENT
- GROUND TRAINER
- TYPE OF PILOTING TIME (3 SUB SECTIONS)
- DUAL RECEIVED
- PILOT-IN-COMMAND - are you pilot-in-command when you receive flight lessons from the instructor and sit in the left seat?
- SECOND-IN-C0MMAND
- TOTAL DURATION OF FLIGHT

Any assistance highly appreciated. Kenneth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:51 am 

Congrats on the first logbook and to filling it up. I gather you haven't started flying yet as the Flight Instructor will be the one responsible for filling it out, at least for all the dual time you get. But it is very important to understand all the rules regarding what constitutes what kind of flight time to double check the CFI as many times they make mistakes and it's YOUR logbook.

So for a 3.2 hour flight you can break that down into various categories and lessor times. Maybe you took off during the day and flew past sunset so you may get some time as NIGHT. Or (later) you may be Instrument rated and can log time in instrument meteorological conditions. Or it may be simulated IMC under the view limiting device so again that time will be less than the flight time.

- REMARKS (PROCEDURES, MANEUVERS, ENDORSEMENTS)
What you did during the flight.

- NO INSTR. APPR.
Number of Instrument Approaches. Not applicable now

- NO LDG.
Number of Landings.

- AIRCRAFT CATEGORY AND CLASSIFICATION (4 SUB SECTIONS)
- AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND
An airplane that takes of and lands on solid ground, not a seaplane with ONE engine.

- AIRPLANCE MULTI-ENGINE LAND
Same as above but with 2 or more engines

- EMPTY
To be used as a category you may need later, like High Performance or a complex aircraft.

- ROTORCRAFT HELICOPTER
Time spent flying a Helo

- AS FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR - guess this is time you flew as flight instructor
Yup, only when you are the CFI you get to log this.

- CROSS COUNTRY - guess this is time you flew cross country
Check your countries definition as to what X/C time is defined as, here in the US, it has to be to an airport at least 50 nm or more. That is for purposes of higher ratings, flight to ANY airport other than the departing one is a X/C but it doesn't count towards higher ratings.

- CONDITION OF FLIGHT (4 SUB SECTIONS) - guess this is the time I flew either at day or night but could both be for instance day AND actual instrument? Is this right?

- DAY
Easy, time spent flying during the day, which is anything other than night.

- NIGHT
Check the definition of NIGHT as it will be defined as xx minutes past the Evening Civil Twilight

- ACTUAL INSTRUMENT
Flight time in IMC conditions.

- SIMULATED INSTRUMENT
Flight time in simulated IMC conditions, say when wearing a view limiting device.

- GROUND TRAINER
Flight time in an IFR approved simulator

- TYPE OF PILOTING TIME (3 SUB SECTIONS)
- DUAL RECEIVED
Time with a CFI giving you dual instruction.

- PILOT-IN-COMMAND - are you pilot-in-command when you receive flight lessons from the instructor and sit in the left seat?
As a STudent pilot you can only get PIC time when you are solo. As a Private pilot it is ANY time your are the one manipulating the flight controls as long as you are rated in category and class. if you don't have a multi rating than you can't log time flying a twin engine plane. Where you sit doesn't matter. Left or right seat does not make it PIC time. Even if your medical expires you can log PIC time as long as another qualified pilot is on board who is the LEGAL PIC for the flight. That is the one responsible for the safety of the flight.

- SECOND-IN-C0MMAND
For most people this is meaningless unless your going to fly for a living. It is time spent as the Pilot not flying in an airplane that requires 2 pilots.

- TOTAL DURATION OF FLIGHT
What it says, total time of the flight, usually the HOBBS time.

Even after you earn the Private license, log ALL Solo time as it is important for certain aspects of the Commercial rating if you go that far.

The most problems come from not knowing the right definitions of NIGHT, and Cross Country, so learn that and log it correctly and check the CFI too!

So for the 3.2 hour flight I mentioned above it could be as follows.

Total Time 3.2
ASEL 3.2
Night 1.6
X/C> 50nm 3.2
X/C 3.2
Day landings 2
Night Landings 1
Dual 3.2

Hope this helps,
Ron