Click Here to Return to

The Finer Points of Flying
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:56 pm 

Hey guys,
I am a 14 year old with about 200 hours(None of that I can actually log :cry:, just out tagging along with Dad). I absolutely love flying, but I have to wait 2 years to solo:-( Obviously, between 16 and 17, I am strictly limited to a student pilot certificate. During this year, what aircraft am I limited to flying. Is it possible to recieve an endorsement, such as high performance, tailwheel, high altitude, etc..? Also, I think I know the answer to this, but is it possible to get a rating, like a multiengine, IFR?Type rating? I can't see the FAA puting a 12 hour pilot in IMC, but I figured it worthy to ask. I have looked through the FAR/AIM, but I can't decode any of that stuff.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:03 pm 

So nice that you get to get all that time hanging with dad!

I'm not a CFI yet, so I can't say for sure, but I'm sure you can get the tailwheel endorsement as a student pilot. As for the others it may depend on insurance requirements more than the FAR's as it may be legal but if you aren't insured that's a little risky.

HP may be possible too as it's an endorsement like the tailwheel and not a license.

As for the multi, instrument and such those are ratings that get added to a license which you don't have so no that's not possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:49 pm 

It great to hear your enthusiasm!

You can fly whatever you want provided you are with an instructor. All time spent in the cockpit with a CFI is flight time/experience, but not PIC time. It can count toward your license so with that said I would start with single engine land. Tailwheel is pretty fun....High wing, low wing, your choice. Stick with one and work towards having the necessary flight time and experience so that when you do turn 16, you can solo!
So to answer your question, your first step is solo. Ratings apply to licenses, private pilot or commercial. Endorsements are for privileges either flying solo or after your license.

Have fun flying and let us know if you have any other questions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:23 pm 

you CAN solo a glider at 14. Id look into soaring options in your local area. could be a great way to keep you flying for the next few years. www.ssa.org is the Soaring Society of America's website, check out the 'Where to Fly' app to find somewhere near you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:41 pm 

You can solo in a complex, tail wheel or high performance airplane with the needed endorsements. However I would stick with the most basic (in regards to retractable gear or high performance). Something like a 172 or what ever. After you pass your private ride, then work on specific endorsements for complex or high performance.