Click Here to Return to

The Finer Points of Flying
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: some of the good stuff
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:49 pm 

Does anyone want to give me a hit of the good stuff? The dream of flying is coming slowly but surely to a close for me as I have no idea what the market is doing nor frankly am getting inspired by pilots who I talk to when I get off of major airlines or by any publication I read. I couldnt be more bored at my job and probably took a more boring position just to pay for flying. I got my PPL and IFR in a year and am debt free but how do I bring myself to pay another 20k just for the commercial when it looks like there are no jobs? When I started at the end of 2007 it was 400 hours and a Saab 340 F/O so the prospect of flight instructing, which I hold high and true though I don't believe for me, was manageable. I don't want to discourage anyone who is reading this who is already a CFI or close too it because. YOUR THERE and you will be first in line when things get better but what about the rest of us?

~ soakedpilot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:43 am 

I started learning to fly in May of 2002. Not only was no one hiring then, pilots were getting laid off left and right. Then by the time I got out of school they were hiring, but you needed thousand or more hours for a regional FO job, and even 500+ for more entry level single piston jobs.

Bottom line: the market is very cyclical, and timing is everything. This is not a bad time to be training, because by the time you have your CFI and get some hours under your belt, they'll be hiring again.

Oh and I hope that you occasionally just rent a plane and go flying for fun? Only flying for training can get a bit discouraging after too long.