Click Here to Return to

The Finer Points of Flying
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Question for CFIIs
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:32 pm 

Let's say you're a CFII and you are giving instrument training in your student's airplane, for which they are rated. In order to give your student some actual IMC experience, you file an IFR flight plan and the student flies in IFR conditions with you in the right seat.

14 CFR ยง 61.3(e) says:

Quote:
No person may act as pilot in command of a civil aircraft under IFR or in weather conditions less than the minimums prescribed for VFR flight unless that person holds: (1) The appropriate aircraft category, class, tupe (if required), and instrument rating on that person's pilot certificate for any airplane, helicopter, or powered-lift beinf flown. . . .

Okay, so the instrument student cannot act as PIC for that flight, right? Presumably, the CFII will act as PIC. So what if the insurance policy on the student's airplane requires something specific before another pilot can be pilot in command, such as a checkout or minimum hours in make/model, etc.?

I know CFIIs take their students in IMC all the time, so.... insurance be damned or what? Do you get added to the insurance of every student that owns his/her own plane? Does your instructor's insurance cover the airframe if there's an accident?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:29 pm 

That is a question for the insurance company. I think, in my policy, it states that CFI's are covered. But that ONLY protects the owner. The CFI would need a renters policy, I believe to cover himself.

Bottom line is, if you want to be covered as CFI, you need to be named insured, which happens, or you need a renters policy.

If you have no assets, however, you would possibly be judgement proof and not need any insurance. YMMV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:26 am 

Just as a general rule, If I'm instructing in a students airplane (regardless of the type of instruction) I will be a named instructor on the policy. This sometimes changes the policy from business and pleasure to instruction and rental but it covers me, the owner/student and the plane.

Now, this does not matter for flight reviews or IPCs, only training for a new rating or certificate.