Click Here to Return to

The Finer Points of Flying
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:08 am 

Hello,

I have yet another stupid question:
What are the "gotchas" of getting a private pilot license under part 61 and then working on my instrument ticket under 141?

I still have not chosen a school/cfi to get started but some are claiming that a part 61 school allows for flexibility when the weather is not appropriate for the mandated lesson of a 141 syllabus. On the other side one school claimed that there would be "mounds of paperwork" if I switched after getting my ppl (the needle on my BS detector moved when he said that).

My goal is to get my PPL and then immediately start on my instrument ticket. My theory is that it would improve my skills and make getting from point A to point B a bit more reliable. (there are lots of clouds in the western Washington).

Still a wannabe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:54 am 

hi ruckin,

Good news is there are no 'gotchas' just a decision about which training better suits your needs. 141 is scheduled and follows a syllabus. You may be training with multiple instructors and most likely will have classroom schedules.
Part 61 allows you to work on your own schedule and pay as you go. Much more flexibility and the only catch here is to find the instructor that best suits you. This is paramount-fly with a couple instructors and find which best suits you.
One more recommendation...get some experience before you take the instrument plunge. This is a whole new language where you will be learning a skill set based on your VFR skills. Until you are completely confident with those, optimizing IFR skills is challenging.
Let us know what you find out from your schools and how the decision goes:)
anais